What is the appeal about?
2018 marks both the centenary of the end of the First World War and of the formation of the Royal Air Force. Both of these important National Events, but also important locally with the close links Swanton Morley has with the Armed Services.
We wish to mark these two important events with the casting of the Centenary Memorial Bell to augment All Saints from a ring of 6 to a ring of 8.
We want this to go beyond a usual bell augmentation project. We want this to become the village’s tribute to those who served and lost their lives in the First World War, as well as also commemorate the close connection the village had with the RAF for 55 years.
The aims of the project are:
1. Commemorate the centenary of the end of the First World War as well as create a fitting tribute to those who
served and lost their lives in the Great War.
2. Commemorate 100 years since the Royal Air Force and its close association with Swanton Morley
3. To further develop the teaching of change ringing through teaching and education
What will this involve?
In order to achieve these aims, the project has been broken into three separate aspects that shall run along side each other.
1. The augmentation of the tower from a ring of six to a ring of eight, including the casting of the Centenary Memorial
2. The installation of state of the art teaching resources
3. The alteration and refurbishment of the ringing chamber
More details on these phases can be found on our "Project Aspects" page.
Who will be carrying out the work?
A small committee made up of members from the All Saints Swanton Morley Bell Ringers is leading the project, on behalf of All Saints' Church Swanton Morley's Parochial Church Council, in raising funds and managing the project. We shall be working closely with the PCC throughout the project.
Has the Project got support from outside of the Church?
We are fortunate to have the support of a wide range of individuals, groups and organisations within the village and the wider community.
• Our Patrons:
• Lt Cl Stenhouse DSO, Commanding Officer of the Queen Dragoon Guards
• Group Captain Townsend, Station Commander of RAF Marham
• Mr J. Boisson, President of the Royal British Legion, Norfolk
• The Parochial Church Council of All Saints' Church Swanton Morley, who have given their support and blessing to
• Swanton Morley Parish Council
• The Norwich Diocesan Association of Ringers
How much will the project cost??
The estimated cost for the project is in the region of £38,500. This cost is split between augmenting the bells to eight, the installation of the education resources and the refurbishment of the ringing chamber.
How will the project be funded?
We aim to source the funding of the project through:
• Donations from ringers, locally and nationally
• Grants from ringing associations and trusts
• Grants from local and national charitable bodies
• Donations from businesses, locally and nationally
• Donations from individuals
• Fundraising activities by Swanton Morley Bell Ringers
All Saints' Swanton Morley Bell Ringers'
Centenary Memorial Bell Appeal
Commemorating the past and securing the future